The successful candidate will perform or assist in construction observation, materials testing, and construction staking.
- Obtain measurements and report progress information on Daily Report.
- Perform on-site testing when needed.
- Must be able to learn to read and understand construction plans, blueprints, and maps.
- Become thoroughly familiar with the plans and specifications for the job to be inspected.
- Check materials before and during installation.
- Point out potential problems to the contractor and project engineer and keep project engineer and supervisor informed of progress of project.
- Must be able to follow and carry out specific instructions on an independent basis.
- Answer questions and concerns from residents.
- Must have basic math skills to compute quantities and costs when requested.
- Must be able to interpret and implement company mandated safety policies.
- File and index jobs once complete.
- Other duties as needed.
Working Conditions and Environment
The Construction Observation Intern works primarily in the field. There is travel to and from job sites. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to stand up for eight hours or more at a time, walk in rugged conditions, and work in adverse weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. He/she must regularly lift up to 25 pounds, occasionally lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally team lift up to 100 pounds or more.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED
Civil Engineering degree (or related field) in progress
Relevant work experience