Kalamazoo and St. Joseph/Benton Harbor area — We are looking to hire entry-level construction observers to support growth in our construction services. Responsibilities of the position include materials testing, communication of progress to project engineers, completing Daily Reports, conflict resolution with contractors, and construction staking.
The successful candidate will perform or assist in construction observation, materials testing and
- Must obtain measurements and report progress information on Daily Reports.
- Perform on-site concrete and density testing when needed.
- Must be able to read and understand construction plans, blueprints, and maps.
- Become thoroughly familiar with the plans and specifications for the job to be inspected.
- Check materials before and during installation.
- Point out potentials problems to the contractor and project engineer and keep project
engineer and supervisor informed of progress of project.
- Must be able to follow and carry out specific instructions on an independent basis.
- Must be able to communicate progress of a project well with project managers, coworkers,
- Must be able to work with computer programs at a basic level.
- Must have basic math skills to compute quantities and costs when requested.
- Must be able to interpret and implement company mandated safety policies.
- File project documents and maintain organization of project files during project duration.
- Must have working cell phone at all times during employment.
- Other duties as needed.
Working Conditions and Environment
The Construction Inspector works primarily in the field. There is a considerable amount of travel
to and from job sites. Some out of town work will be required. While performing the duties of the
job, the employee is frequently required to stand up for eight hours or more at a time, walk in
rugged conditions, and work in adverse weather conditions. The noise level in the work
environment can be loud. He/she must regularly lift up to 25 pounds, frequently lift up to 50
pounds and occasionally team lift up to 100 pounds or more. Seasonal lay-off should be planned
for unless workload allows for year-round employment.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Basic computer skills
- Valid Driver’s License with ability to be insured through P&N
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Concrete Technology and
relevant work experience.