On Monday, March 8, 2021, the Plainfield Charter Township Board of Trustees awarded the 5 Mile Area Pressure Conversion Phase 2 water main contract to Schippers Excavating of West Olive, Michigan.
The purpose of the project is two-fold: First, to convert an area north of 5 Mile Road from the Water System’s Intermediate Pressure District to the High Pressure District, which will increase water pressure by about 40 psi. Second, to replace old, cast iron water main that is nearing the end of its useful life. Full road reconstruction will take place in the areas affected by construction.
The area that will be converted to higher pressure is shown in green on the map, and the areas in which physical construction will occur are highlighted in red. All construction needs to occur before the pressure switch can take place, and we will provide additional information about this process as construction progresses.
For the duration of this project, we will provide regular updates to inform you of what is currently happening and what you can expect to see in the future, including water main construction, traffic control, project safety, access to homes, etc.
Please contact a project representative if you have questions or concerns.
What to Expect
- There will be times that the area in front of your home is torn up and you will have limited access to your home. Please let us know if you have any special access needs and we will do our best to make arrangements with you.
- The contractor will be contacting you to make arrangements for mail delivery and garbage collection. Please let us know if you have any problems with this.
- You will not see construction activity for a few weeks yet as weight restrictions are still in effect on public roads. You may see more activity than normal, though, including survey crews doing construction staking and utility companies marking the location of underground lines.
- Schippers Excavating plans to commence construction when weight restrictions are lifted. They will have a crew starting along Plainfield Avenue between Rockhill and Rockvalley. A second crew will begin in the Bonneville/Bonanza neighborhood to start setting up temporary water service in preparation for water main replacement.
- Schippers’ overall project schedule anticipates the total project, including road paving and lawn restoration, being complete in late summer.
Please share this information with your neighbors who may not have email or access to the internet.
Thank you for your patience and we look forward to a successful project in your neighborhood!