Water Service Replacements
To connect new water main to existing water mains, temporary water shutdowns will be required. We will provide advance notice prior to shutdowns, and shutdowns will be as short as possible.
Existing water service lines (the connection to your home) within the project will be replaced. If the material of the water service has a lead gooseneck or galvanized steel, the entire water service will be replaced — from the water main in the street all the way to inside the home — at NO COST TO THE RESIDENT.
To allow this work, a permission form needs to be signed for each address getting their water service replaced. Please see here for the form. Once completed, please email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may take a picture of the form and text it to Dan Sorek at (616) 218-2940.
We are seeking contact information for scheduling these water services in a very tight time frame. Failure to allow access inside the home to replace the water service into the home will jeopardize the ability for the City of Muskegon Heights to continue providing water service to the home or property.
Additional Information for Water Service Replacements: From the State of Michigan: How This Construction Activity Could Affect the Quality of Your Drinking Water
After Your Water Service is Replaced: Water Service Flushing Recommendations
Customers adjacent to the construction area may have their water service interrupted temporarily while the Contractor replaces their service. The Contractor will coordinate with each customer prior to interrupting service.
Work Completed to This Past Week:
- Crews primarily focused on replacing water service lines this week between the new water main to the homes.
- New water service stubs were installed in preparation for indoor plumbing connections next week.
- There is work planned for Saturday, April 22, 2023.
Work Anticipated Week of April 24, 2023:
- Another construction crew will be added to double the efficiency so more water services can be completed. The goal is to replace all remaining water services to the new main before next Thursday, April 27, 2023.
- Water main connections at 9th and Rotterdam on Wednesday, April 26 – This will involve a disruption of water service for approximately 6-8 hours for all homes on 9th Street between Oakwood and Summit that day.
- Assuming water service replacements go well, the final tie-ins will take place on Thursday, April 27, 2023 at 8th & Summit AND at 8th & Oakwood. This will involve a disruption of water service for approximately 6-8 hours for all homes on 8th Street between Norton and Summit, on Summit between 9th and 6th and on 7th Street between Rotterdam and Norton.
- Remaining storm drainage work will be worked on as well.
Note on water service replacements:
This work will be done by a subcontractor, DHE Plumbing. Please expect them to contact all residents on 8th Street between Oakwood and Summit to schedule the water service replacement all the way INTO the home. We need to get them all done in about 2 weeks to keep the project moving forward. Specific instructions will be provided to affected residents. See also the website link below for expectations before and AFTER the replacement.
Work Anticipated Week of May 1, 2023:
- If the weather does not cooperate or the crews are not able to complete all the water service replacements or water main connections, that work will take place.
- Otherwise, starting May 1, crews will begin cutting the road down to what is known as ‘sand grade’ which means this is when they will cut it down to place the road base gravel and begin rebuilding the roads!
- This will take the remainder of May with placement of road gravel, concrete curb and gutter, concrete driveway approaches, asphalt, manhole adjustments and then the final course of asphalt and restoration.