This week, the contractor adjusted a few drainage structures and disinfected the new water main. They are currently awaiting the results of the tests associated with the disinfection of the main.
Here is what to expect next week, the week of August 19, 2019
- No work is planned for Saturday, August 17, 2019, but Saturday work may be an option to maintain the schedule in the future.
- The new water main will be connected to the existing City system at Continental and at Bailey on Monday pending passing tests of the disinfection of the water main. Customers on Continental south of Broadway may lose water service for a few hours, but will be notified prior.
- Individual building water services will be switched over to the new water main
- Other connections to the new water main will take place at Austin, Valley, Madison, Huizenga and Brunswick. Customers on these side streets and in the neighborhoods will be notified ahead of time, but they will lose water service for a few hours. This is tentatively planned for August 21.
- Portions of the old water main may begin to be removed after everything is transferred over to the new water main in Broadway.
- Once all water main and water service work is complete, the final pieces of the drainage system can be installed and the remainder of the road will be removed. This may happen before Labor Day weekend with preparations of the road reconstruction right after Labor Day. It will take a few weeks to get the gravel in place, the concrete curb and gutter poured and driveways and sidewalks done before asphalt can be placed, but we should still be on schedule with the road getting fully open to traffic on or about October 4, 2019.
Please note that if/when there is an interruption to your water service (customers will be notified prior to planned outages), you may experience discolored water. Please run the cold water in your tub until the water is clear. If the water appears cloudy, it is typically due to tiny air bubbles that are trapped in the water. Just leave the water in a glass and it will clear up (the air will dissipate).
One paved lane remains for accessing homes and businesses on Broadway within the construction zone. Please remember to access homes south of Broadway from Summit and homes north of Broadway from Sherman.