Here is a quick update on the progress of construction on Leahy Street between Sherman and Barney in Muskegon Heights. Now that the underground utility work is completed, the road is being rebuilt. A full reconstruction of a road is different than ‘resurfacing’ which typically involves removing some of the asphalt and putting down a new layer. A reconstruct includes the subbase under the road and the gravel under the asphalt which provides a lot of the strength and stability for the roadway while allowing the water to drain from under the road to prolong the life of the pavement.
Work Completed This Past Week
- General site cleanup.
- Surveying for the new roadway elevations and locations.
- Removing the necessary amount of soil to provide room for the appropriate thickness of gravel road base material.
- Shaping the new road.
- Delivering gravel and placing road base between Sherman and Hume.
Work Anticipated Week of July 17, 2023
- Continued removal of soil for the proper thickness of road gravel base material.
- Shaping for the new roadway.
- Delivery and compaction of the road gravel base material.
- Prepare for concrete curb and gutter and concrete sidewalk and driveway replacement.
Work Anticipated Week of July 24, 2023
- Continued shaping and placing of gravel road base material.
- Begin concrete work on curb and gutter, driveways and sidewalks.
We are still anticipating to be complete with the project before Labor Day Weekend.