Here is our weekly update on the road construction activity in Whitehall. Thank you very much for your patience during this time of inconvenience.
With the short work week, the Contractor was still able to complete the following this past week:
- Excavation, Grading and compaction of the gravel road base material for Lewis Street
- Placed the final Hydrant at Lewis and Lakeview
- Replaced 6 water services on Peach Street between Alice and Sophia
NOTE: For water services replaced – Please be sure to flush all water fixtures in the building, including hot water and exterior fixtures. This will remove any air that might be trapped in the water lines.
Currently, Lakeview Street is Closed to THRU Traffic between Misco Drive and Muskegon Avenue. Lewis Street is also closed to THRU traffic between Lakeview and Mears. Access is being maintained for emergency purposes and for local residents and businesses.
Please use patience when traveling through this area and be kind to the construction workers who are doing their best to get this project done in a safe and timely manner. We are getting closer to pavement which should be before the end of September.
Anticipated work over the next 2 weeks:
- Continue water service replacements on Peach Street between Alice and Sophia.
- Placement of Concrete Curb and Gutter on Lakeview between Misco Drive and Lewis Street AND on Lewis between Lakeview and Mears Avenue.
- Placing driveway approaches on Lewis and Lakeview Street.
- Please be careful of the string lines that will be installed prior to the concrete curb getting installed. They can be difficult to walk over. If you need assistance, please let us know.
- Please note that the concrete will need to cure for a minimum of 3 days before driving over it. You may walk on it within about 3-4 hours of it being poured depending on the temperature. PLEASE, do not write in the concrete. It will need to be removed and replaced and it is very costly.
- Pavement will be removed soon on Peach Street between Sophia and Slocum and on Wilshire Drive for the water main replacement to take place.
Thank you very much for your patience and understanding during these necessary improvements to the Whitehall infrastructure. Do not hesitate to contact a project representative if there are any issues or questions. Refuse and mail service should remain as normal. We recommend placing a piece of duct tape on your garbage receptacle with your address written on it in permanent marker and the Contractor can assist with your waste hauler to get your trash picked up in a timely manner.