Here is our weekly update on the road construction activity in Whitehall. Thank you very much for your patience during this time of inconvenience.
Work completed this past week:
- Installed over 650 feet of water main on Lewis Street
- The water main has been tested and we are awaiting the results of the samples
- The sewer main that was installed was inspected with a camera from the inside
Currently, Lakeview Street is Closed to THRU Traffic between Misco Drive and Muskegon Avenue. Lewis Street is also closed to THRU traffic between Lakeview and Mears. Access is being maintained for emergency purposes and for local residents and businesses.
Please use patience when traveling through this area and be kind to the construction workers who are doing their best to get this project done in a safe and timely manner.
Anticipated work over the next 2 weeks:
- Water Main Connections to connect the new water main on Lewis to the City System which includes shifting all services over to the new water main. Water service may be interrupted to some residential customers for a few hours. Depending on the results of the samples taken, this could be as soon as tomorrow (Monday, August 29, 2022). Notice will be given to residents and it will not be done first thing in the morning.
- If your water is interrupted, it is recommended that you flush the water in your home or business. Start with a bathtub and cold water – This is because most tub spigots do not have an aerator. Go through every faucet, both hot and cold as well as all appliances and outside spigots. This is to remove any air that can get in the water lines. If your water appears cloudy at first but clears up after a minute, this is due to small air bubbles trapped in the water and we recommend continued flushing. It is also recommended to unscrew and clean any aerators on faucets.
- Preparation and grading for new concrete curb and gutter to be installed on Lakeview Street between Misco and Lewis.
- Water services on Peach Street may begin to be replaced between Alice and Sophia. There are two water main in this block of Peach and all services will be consolidated onto one water main and the older water main will be eliminated from the system.
Thank you very much for your patience and understanding during these necessary improvements to the Whitehall infrastructure. Do not hesitate to contact a project representative if there are any issues or questions. Refuse and mail service should remain as normal. We recommend placing a piece of duct tape on your garbage receptacle with your address written on it in permanent marker and the Contractor can assist with your waste hauler to get your trash picked up in a timely manner.