On Monday, August 23, 2021, the Plainfield Charter Township Board of Trustees awarded the Bittersweet Drive Area water main construction contract to Dykema Excavating out of Grand Rapids MI.
This project is designed to extend the municipal water system and connect homes that have been affected by PFAS contamination. The project area is shown on the map.
Earlier this year, residential drinking water wells began to dry up, and due to the PFAS contamination in the area, drilling new wells was not an option. Plainfield Charter Township acted quickly and installed a temporary water main at shallow depths to supply water to houses whose wells had dried up. Over the summer, the Plainfield Water Department has been working with residents in the area to get their houses connected to the temporary water main while plans for a permanent water main could be developed. We are now to the point where construction of the permanent municipal water supply system will begin soon.
For the duration of this construction project, we will provide regular updates that will inform you of what is happening presently and what you can expect to see coming up, including water main construction, traffic control, project safety, access to homes, etc.
What to Expect
- West Michigan Tree Services is scheduled to be on site to begin removing trees within private easements and the public road right-of-way which will be affected by water main construction.
- You will see survey crews doing construction staking and utility companies marking the location of underground lines.
- Dykema plans to commence water main construction on October 4. Water main construction is anticipated to last about 4 weeks.
Late October – Early November
- Road restoration is planned for the last week of October.
- Driveway and lawn restoration will be completed in early November.
- September 27
- Tree clearing begins
- Water main and water service construction
- End of October
- Road restoration at water main crossings
- Driveway and lawn restoration
- Spring 2022
- Lawn restoration will be touched up as necessary to ensure good grass growth